Probationary Member

Default Resource Room Teacher Advice

This is my third year teaching as a resource room teacher in an elementary school. I feel like I'm finally starting to figure out routines that work for me, but I find the resource room to be a very isolated job and I was wondering how it is in other places. I'm accountable for making sure that the student's IEP goals are met and this year I've instituted a warm-up assignment where students can do skill work related to their IEP goals. I also use this time for quick assessments or mini-lessons related to their goals. However, this takes up 20-25 minutes of a 45 minute block and students cannot complete the classwork that comes down with them. This frustrates some of the students who already need additional time to complete assignments. I don't want to cause the students unneeded anxiety and I've modified class assignments and discussed the need to modify assignments with the classroom teachers. However, many of the general ed. teachers either don't have the motivation to modify or don't support the practice of modifying assignments. In addition to this, I'm on the IST team and was just signed up as the facilitator for my school's new reading program because of the "extra time" in my schedule. As a third year teacher, I don't want to overstep my bounds by giving veteran teachers teaching advice, but I want to do what is best for the kids and sometimes that means trying something new that involves a little more effort. Sorry for the rant.... just feeling a little overwhelmed and isolated. Any suggestions or advice from special or general educators would be appreciated. Thanks!

Senior Member Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Papa's Burgeria Champion, Guardian Rock Champion, Globs Champion mopar's Avatar

I've taught both special ed and gen ed so I know your pain. I think that you need to take advantage of the general ed teachers willing to modify and do what is best for your students. With the other teachers, you need to do what is best for your students. This may mean that you modify the assignments and just let the teacher know that you did this. It may mean doing something different with these students.

Keep referring to the students' IEP plans with the teachers. If it states modified work...then they need to modify, but be clear on what is modified work.

Remember, you know these students best! You talk with their parents, read their files, and have a smaller case load. So, speak when you need to and do what is best for the students.