Probationary Member

Default Middle School Drama classes

Does anyone have any drama lesson plans that want to share? I teach drama to grade 7, 8, and 9. The students do not choose to take drama. The school year is divided into three terms and in each term they choose to take art, music, or drama (but they can't take a subject more than once)

So this means that sometimes I have very enthusiastic drama students mixed in with some not-so-enthusiastic students.

I have lots of improv games to play with them (and it really depends on the group if these games are fabulous fun or a total failure)

I am looking for some more ideas that involve group work, or individual projects that could be entertaining. The students usually love to write and perform funny commercials for example.

I am so jealous! I teach middle grades language arts and we do not have a drama class. We have a humanities class, but nothing specific for drama. I will keep my eyes open for some lessons to share. I have always wanted to perform 15 Reasons Not To Be in a Play. (I think there are 2 sequals - 18 More Reasons... and 30 Reasons....) It seems like this may be a fun performance since some of your students can identify with not really wanting to be in drama class
    jsfowler, KY

Senior Member Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Papa's Burgeria Champion, Guardian Rock Champion, Globs Champion mopar's Avatar

Our drama teacher has access to computers...so while some students work on plays or live performances, others can work on creating imovies on the computer. This may get to some of your reluctant learners.

I've also taught drama to 7th, 8th, and 9th graders of varying levels of enthusiam. I've found that nothing gets them taking it more seriously than the prospect of a looming performance. Try to find a school event or assembly near the end of the term at which they can perform a short play or some sketches. Nothing gets them motivated like not wanting to look stupid in front of the whole school.

Senior Member Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Papa's Burgeria Champion, Guardian Rock Champion, Globs Champion mopar's Avatar

That's a great idea! Or if you don't have that option, see if you can record the performances and air them on the morning or afternoon announcements.

Probationary Member

I love the idea of performing the "15 reasons not to be in a play." I looked it up and found the scripts online!

The students LOVE anything to do with computers, so projects on computers are always a hit as well - but I need something more thrilling than research or writing a script. I am intrigued by using a pc equivalent to imovie.

I'm glad you liked it If you perform this play, please let me know how it goes.
    jsfowler, KY