Probationary Member

Default Supporting a Family on a Teacher's Salary

Hi all,

I've been teaching high school English at a private school for about six months (I'm not credentialed), and I've come to the conclusion that teaching is for me. However, I also need to support a family in the Bay Area on a single income within the next two to four years.

I'm trying to get myself into a position where I can make around 50K teaching at a private school, but I'm not sure exactly how to do this. Currently, I'm considering pursuing a summer master's program, but I'm not sure whether I might be better off pursuing a credential, a masters, or both.

Any of your insights or suggestions would be great! Thanks!

BTW, my undergrad is in Business Administration from an elite school in the area.

Probationary Member

Sorry to bump this thread, but does anyone have any advice?

Sorry. It is the holiday weekend, so I've not been on as much.

Bumping is always a good idea if you've not got views and/or responses.

I'd say go for the credential. It sounds like you need a job now rather than in two years. You can TTT in six months in some programs. Of course, it may be a good idea to continue onto a Master's after that. However, being in school eats A LOT of money away. There is less funding out there for graduate education.

Look into parochial schools as well as private. Both will take teachers without credentials.

Consider this as well: Private and parochial schools really have crap benefits in most cases. Public schools, on the other hand, have decent benefit packages. You might consider trading income for things like insurance.
    Don't expect others to do for you what you are not willing to do for youself.