Ok, just so were clear, I'm talking from experience with teachers and I don't want anyone to be offended , so don't take it that way!
10 Ways to Tell if you're a Bad Teacher!
1. During class, the kids sitting in the back are constantly talking, and if the kids up front are talking it's even worse!
2. When you tell jokes, people just shake their heads, maybe throw something at you
3. A student with another teacher passes the same quiz you gave, but everyone in you're class failed it
4. People start laughing during the middle of class for no reason (FYI it's probably you they are laughing at (ya work on your wardrobe budy ) )
5. Every other word you say someone asks a question or tells you to slow down
6. You have taken every worksheet and lesson plan from another teacher, even if you don't know what some things mean.
7. You're graded material contains things that you haven't discussed in class (or at least not well)
8. Everyone in you're class has a 100%, ya maybe you think that's good, but you're class is probably too easy !
9. You have personal relationships with someone who works in you're classroom (or they continously come into the class) or you show EXTREME favortism (in my opinion, some people deserve a little favortism)
10. You only give out worksheets, you don't take the time to explain much, you are always grading papers or on the computer while students are working (note, once in a while this is probably a good thing)
Ok, I hope you liked the list, I mostly apply this to middle school categories (hence the category). If you have something you want added to this list POST IT HERE!. Let's see how long we can get it!
Your Additions to the List
11. Every class hour is a free hour and the kids just sit around and talk the whole time.
12. You let kids go out into the parking lot 15 minutes before school gets out so they can let their cars warm up and they tear up someone's vehicle while they are out there.
14. You constantly take random videos from other teachers and play them in class and they become your lesson plans.
15. You leave videos for subs that really have nothing to do with what is going on in class because you don't have any written work for them to do.
16. You ask the principal to watch your class for an hour while you go to the doctor and are late getting back and leave no work for the next class.
17. You use only the text and the prepared materials that come with it.
18. You stand in the hall and socialize with other teachers while expecting the kids to teach themselves. Then, you stick your head in every once in awhile to give detentions.
19. You walk into the classroom on the first day and think "Ok, 4 months until winter break!"
20. You discriminate because of age, race, gender, etc.
21. You talk more to other teachers than to the kids.
22. You tell your students to "Go play." when you are supposed to be teaching them. (preschool)
23. You eat things like cupcakes and cookies in front of them.
24. You text while the children are doing thier journals.
25. Naptime for the kids means naptime for you - even before the room is cleaned and prepared for the afternoon and the bathrooms sanitized. (preschool)
26. You are reprimanded by other teachers for misbehavior.
27. Your name is part of a running joke among the students.
28. There is a stampede at the counselor's office when students hear there is a spot open in another class.
29. You think Bill Nye is a paid staff member at your school, on your grade level, ready to step in when you need a little "time out".
30. You disregard the seriousness of state testing and allow the students to take "nap breaks" during the test. After the test you allow them to draw, watch movies, sleep and go to recess.
31. You are constantly talking on your cell phone during class.
32. You forget the materials for your lessons on a regular basis.
33. You think worksheets are the only way to go.
34. Answering a simple question takes twenty minutes.
35. You show DVDs on a regular basis.
36. You leave student teachers alone in the room with the kids.
37. You don't treat all students equally.
38. You ignore low academics or bad behavior to avoid dealing with parents.
39. Begging the students to stop doing something. It is never okay to ask a student to "pretty please do it for me".
40. Continuing with a lesson that just isn't working. Sometimes lessons don't go as planned. Instead of plowing on, admit things aren't going well and go from there!
41. You give the students a 'free day' on a regular basis.
42. You never leave your chair or computer.
43. You don't respect student's personal space. Yes, they are really cute sometimes, but ask before you give your preschoolers hugs! For older students, you don't have to always touch an arm, stand too close, or hover over the individual.
44. You keep the whole class in when there are only a few kids misbehaving
45. You sit under a tree when you should be doing playground duty.
46. You are more negative than positive in the classroom.
47. You call out a child's faults before the whole class to purposely embarrass him/her.
48. You are late to relieve a colleague on playground duty.
49. You treat people according to how their star sign gets on with your star sign.( I do know a teacher who looked at his new classes star signs before he got them)
50. You talk about troublesome students in front of other students
51. You vent about other teachers in front of students
52. You compare students to their brothers and sisters in front of them.
53. You enjoy meetings more than you enjoy teaching.
54. You're the last one into the carpark in the morning and the first one out.
55. You ask the students to bring you things they shouldn't have to - like Kleenex.
56. You come into the classroom of another teacher while on break and they are teaching. You think that is an appropriate time to have a long conference. A question is okay. A thirty minute gab-fest, no.
57. You are always late for assembly.
58. A dvd is your main programming tool.
59. You make negative comments to a teacher in front of their colleagues, or worse still, in front of their class.
60. You take over situations a co-worker has under control.
61. You think everyone should discipiline like you do.
62. You ask personal questions of collegues you've just met.
63. You look forward to staff development days.
64. You're the only one who laughs at your jokes.
65. You laugh at the younger teachers and make comments like "Well, one day they'll learn and quit trying all that stuff they learned in college."
66. You only have three grades in your grade book at the end of the grading period.
67. You leave your observations, lesson plans, and assesments until the last minute and don't get them done. (Good teachers can leave things till the last minute and still come up with great stuff.)
68. You're more concerned with your fashion philosophy than your educational philosophy. (got one on staff like this)
69. You can't laugh at your mistakes, or learn from them.
70. You're a bad teacher when it's just a job.
71. Your students have daily contests to be yelled at the most, to be first to be kicked out to the hall, and to be first to be sent to the principal.
View Poll Results: Do you like this list or was it helpful to you?
Results 1 to 10 of 43
Tags for this Thread