Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Probationary Member

Default Lesson plans for two-year-olds needed

I really need some truly useful lesson plan ideas for my two year old class. I'm tired of searching the web, only to think I've hit jack pot with the "toddler lesson plans," only to discover plans which my twos would lose interest in in about 3 seconds, or which require one-on-one. Or to go to "preschool" and discover that usually means fours and sometimes threes. Anyone have a really good resource? (Even the curriculum we use at our school is unrealistic!)
    Last edited by suziwollman; 12-04-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: correct

What type of lesson plan are you looking for? What types of things do you do with your children already? What are your children interested in?

I usually take preschool plans and make age adjustments. Some of my threes really act like twos anyways. They just aren't there yet. Because I sometimes have from sixes to very young threes, I think it isn't the age the plan says its for but how you differentiate the instructions.

One plan I like is putting on music and giving the kids glow sticks to dance with. Turn off the lights and it is awesome!

depends on the weather, but I love "paint like Pollock" -- take kids onto cement with paintbrushes and water and let them go nuts -- no cleanup, the water just evaporates.

I teach the 1-3 year old age group and currently we're in our Christmas/Holiday theme. My September curriculum was of course Back to School the first week where they fingerpainted with yellow on a school bus, had school buses in the texture table with red pom poms for apples ect. But then we moved onto Nursery Rhymes which was perfect for them and I created projects for each Rhyme. For instance, Mary Marcy Quite Contrary I had them tear paper up and I cut a flower out of construction paper and they glued the torn up paper to the flower. For Twinkle Twinkle, I gave them black paper and they stuck foil stars all over it as we recited the poem.

My crew loves glue. If they could use glue everyday, they would! I give them paint brushes to brush the glue on their project and then they can stick things on. We also use a lot of contact paper because it's easy to tape to the table and then they can stick items to it for whatever lesson plan we're doing. Leaves in October. blue tissue paper in April for April showers, red/white/blue in July for Independence day ect.

Currently, we're doing a lot of projects with glitter which the kids also love. Today I gave them red construction paper and they used green paint mixed with glue to paint, then we sprinkled glitter on it. I also had them paint stripes on red paper and later on I cut candy canes out.

I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for or more specific lesson plans like month to month. Next month, for January I'm doing a week of snowflakes, a week of gingerbread, a week of "The Mitten" and a week of cooking.

Ooh! I love the idea of a gingerbread week! What sorts of lessons, books, songs, ect. do you use with yours? I think I'd like to do a week on this too!

How about an All About Me or Body Awareness week.

We do that one at my center. The kids really seem to like talking about how they are big now. We talk about what babies are like and how growth happens. It is so cute to hear the tiny little barely three year olds talk about the past like it was a long time ago!

boxcar -- for gingerbread week, you can use a gingerbread man story, then gingerbread baby and gingerbread friends, by Jan Brett. The last one has a gingerbread recipe in it. our kindies do a gingerbread man hunt every year -- they bake a BIG gingerbread man and decorate him all up, but after they leave him in the oven, someone opens it to peek while they're gone, and he runs away! they spend the rest of the week making "lost "posters and looking for him (following gumdrop trails and crumbs and such around the school). It's a really big deal every year!

I absolutely love that idea!!! I'm planning units to do after X-mas break, and I think I'll use this one. The gingerbread hunt will be fun and good learning for my entire range of ages from three to six. Thank you.