Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Accelerated Reader Projects

Hello again...

We are doing AR in the English classes here at the High School. I am in charge of my 9th grade and 10th grade classes. I have an idea for my Honors students in the 10th grade, but does anyone else have any ideas for my 9th graders? I need some fun ideas for them. They aren't too motivated, and I want them to really get into the books they choose.

what are you trying to get them to accomplish? do you just want them reading, or do you have more specific targets?

My sophomores are in an Honors Class. They will be required to read a book,and then do a presentation on that book. However my ninth graders are in a regular education class. The class has about 26 students in each of them. I want them to read a book, and take the test, but I wanted to add SOMETHING fun for them to do within that requirement.

so i'm assuming that if they're being tested, they're all reading the same book. therefore, it depends on the book you choose. "fun" also depends on the kids. for some kids, creative writing (e.g., adapt the book into a screenplay, or write the continuation of the book from a different point of view) would be fun. for others, doing tableaux or dramatic re-creations of sections of the book would be fun (I would've hated that , personally).

for me, I would have loved to be assigned a photo-essay about the book -- get a disposable camera and tell the story (or a part of it) visually using photos. you could also have them re-design the book cover (agagin, I would want to do a photo cover, because I suck at drawing). DEFINITE fun for me would be to re-write the back cover blurb.

well, they get to choose their own book. That is what they love about AR.

Smile reading response projects

Hi Lindsay,
    I have my fifth graders do reading response projects, and give them a menu of choices. I think most of them would work for high school age readers.

Create a board game based on the book
    Write a song or poem about the book
    Create a new book cover or book jacket
    including a summary and reviews
    Make a poster advertising the book
    Write a reader's theater script of an important scene from the book and perform for the class
    Write a journal as one of the main characters
    Make an illustrated timeline of the book
    Rewrite a scene from the book from another character's point of view
    Write a new ending or an epilogue
    Write new titles for the chapters of the book, with short explanations
    Choose an important scene from the book and create a storyboard or comic strip

Hope this helps! You could probably find more ideas by googling "reading response projects."
    Upnorth

Thanks!!
    I love all of those ideas, and I think that they will enjoy the choices.

Wow! I just started doing AR in my class. Right now I am trying to get all students in the habit of having a book, reading when they are finished, etc. I absolutely love these ideas that everyone has posted and will be using them with my sixth graders! I was not going to grade students based on their AR, want it more as a motivational tool. Are teachers that are implementing this grading the piece that students complete at the end (book report, etc)? And if so, how do you keep track when students will all be finishing at different times.

Quote Originally Posted by BuBerry3 View Post
    Wow! I just started doing AR in my class. Right now I am trying to get all students in the habit of having a book, reading when they are finished, etc. I absolutely love these ideas that everyone has posted and will be using them with my sixth graders! I was not going to grade students based on their AR, want it more as a motivational tool. Are teachers that are implementing this grading the piece that students complete at the end (book report, etc)? And if so, how do you keep track when students will all be finishing at different times.
    I set a goal for each student based on their reading level. They need to earn a specific number of points each quarter, and I break it down by how many points equals an A, how many equals a B, etc. For projects, I set a specific day for sharing projects. They need to be done by that day, but if they turn them in early I just hang on to them until sharing time.
    Upnorth

Smile

My honors kids love the idea of having choices, and they picked a book they would enjoy! They are only doing one book per semester because they are doing a big project each time. However, my freshmen are doing many books. Because I have never done this before, I really don't know where to start their levels, and how many points are appropriate. Any suggestions?!?!