Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Students acting up REALLY bad for substitute

I've been out for 2 days and got sent home for a third due to health reasons...I found two letters and got multiple verbal reports from people in my hallway and from others the word got around to that my students were acting up HORRIFICALLY while I was out. The principal evidently was called at least 6 times.

I am humiliated and EXTREMELY pissed off with these kids. I have no idea how I want to even deal with them tomorrow. I can't bring any aggravation on myself because I am not 100% well yet. However I feel they need to be punished. Mind you, my high-performing seniors were beautifully behaved, but my freshmen and my "super-seniors" in the "remedial" course were acting so horrible they were told not to even come back to an alternate program I begged to have them sent to so they could complete their credits for graduation.

I am going to work them SO hard tomorrow, and for the rest of the year. One complaint I got is "I didn't leave enough work." I left the same amount of work as always...I have a feeling that they rushed through it and/or they copied off one or two people.

They're not exactly a great lot for me either, but I heard the past few days really took the cake. I can't describe how irritated I am right now...how would you proceed tomorrow?

I am starting to get that premature "oh my God I feel sabotaged and need to protect myself" feeling....

Acting up for a sub is really immature behavior. Your "trouble groups" are showing their emotional IQ here. Do you know who the sub was and what in particular the kids did? Was one of the notes you got from the sub?

I myself would not say anything to the kids at first. Make them sweat it. They figure you will be upset with them and it will throw them for a loop if you don't say anything. Are they the kind of group that you can ask for suggestions as to how they can atone for their behavior? (Something tells me no.) Sometimes you get a group that needs a drill sargeant for a sub. Next time you are out, arrange with the sub-getter to get you the "meanest one" they can find. (I find when the kids say a teacher or sub is mean, the adjective "mean" refers to the fact that said person "means" what they say and doesn't let the kids get away with anything.)

Quote Originally Posted by seastarmath View Post
    Acting up for a sub is really immature behavior. Your "trouble groups" are showing their emotional IQ here. Do you know who the sub was and what in particular the kids did? Was one of the notes you got from the sub?

I myself would not say anything to the kids at first. Make them sweat it. They figure you will be upset with them and it will throw them for a loop if you don't say anything. Are they the kind of group that you can ask for suggestions as to how they can atone for their behavior? (Something tells me no.) Sometimes you get a group that needs a drill sargeant for a sub. Next time you are out, arrange with the sub-getter to get you the "meanest one" they can find. (I find when the kids say a teacher or sub is mean, the adjective "mean" refers to the fact that said person "means" what they say and doesn't let the kids get away with anything.)
    evidently, the sub today was of drill-sergeant proportions. this should be interesting tomorrow...they won't atone...the freshman think they're soooo cool and cute, and the "super seniors" arent much better.

the sub they had for 2 days is an awesome woman with tons of experience...both notes were from her but i got an earful from everyone else!!!!

Don't you wonder what gets into these kids? Where do they get the idea they can treat people like that? They give young people a bad name.

I don't really know WHAT to do in situations like this. If you do nothing at all, the kids feel free to torture the next sub. One of the reasons I go to school even when I am sick is that I don't want to deal with the extra lesson plans and the students on the bad list.

I can't think of another profession where a person has to work harder to take time off to recuperate than when they are at work. Most people can just get someone to cover for them. We have to write extra lesson plans, forsee circumstances to avert disaster, then deal with the aftermath when we return. Another reason why teachers should ALL have aides or secretaries, like other professionals. If you were sick, your aide would still be there and kids would be more inclined to behave. That would take money schools don't have, though.

I hope you are feeling better. Try not to worry about this. Maybe the answer will come to you when you are well rested and fully recovered. I will be watching to see what other people do in situations like this. I have the middle school kids who will respond to things like silent lunch or being isolated in class. I don't think you can enforce that in a high school.

Good luck tommorrow! I hope you are feeling better!

Call parents?

I haven't gone back yet. My fever came back, I went to the doctor. I haven't eaten a good meal in 4 days and I can't keep liquids in my body. I HAVE to go back tomorrow even though the doctor told me I could be out til next Monday. The anxiety and disgust of the situation I'm going back to is seriously hindering my ability to repair myself...my father is demanding I cut the $#@* and just think of myself right now and get better...my mom is right, I really take too much blame for other people's actions out of my control.

I think you should stay home until you are well. Yes, the kids are giving the subs a hard time. But trust the subs to be able to deal with it. IF they can't, then it is the ADMINISTRATION'S problem, not yours.

Note, I do not heed my own advice. But my kids are not the better for my coming to school ill. I only get sicker and I don't have the energy to be there for them. Take the time you need to heel.

how'd it go today?

As a sub, I usually expect a certain amount of bad behaviour, but I recieved some good advice early on -- what you report on reflects more on you as a teacher than the kids. Teachers have told me that the subs they trust most leave notes that reflect how their class usually is.

As for what the other teachers say, well, good to be informed, but I've learned this year that you can't do much about what happens when you're not there. I teach primary, so it's a bit of a different story, but the fact is, when I'm not in the room, the teacher who is there is in charge, and needs to step up and manage the kids. If they can't but you can, either you're amazing, or they're not so good. If they're good managers but have a list of complaints, maybe they just need to suck it up. subs need to do a lot of that. they can't vent -- there's no outlet. the teachers in your hall are probably trying to be helpful, but I find that those sorts of comments about your kids just aren't helpful. I'd let them slide. after all, if the kids were out of hand, the other teachers could've stepped in. you weren't there, so why complain to you?

In your place, I'd probably go in storming mad, be grumpy for a day, possibly read out the note from the sub or quote the other teachers in the hall to the offending groups of kids so that they know why I'm pissy, and let them feel the bad vibes radiating from me until they shaped up. other than letting them know what was said about them and how displeased you are, what can you do?

oh -- and if they worked on any newer concepts with the sub, I'd likely test the sh*t outta them on that material in the next few days; maybe not for reporting purposes, but to scare them into paying attention to a sub next time. I might warn them the next time I leave there will be tests following as well. But that's just the vindictive side of me talking. you're probably a lot nicer and more even-handed than that.

Brit, you must be an awesome sub! I would LOVE to have a sub like you. Heck, I'd like to BE you!

You make some excellent points. I love reading your posts because they tell it like it is.