Probationary Member

Default teacher being disrespectful

While I am used to aides being disresptful, this is my first time with another teacher and I need help. I teach special ed at a high school and have a govenment class for seniors. They all have to do a senior project. The entire school does one and I love it. The students research a topic, come up with a service project and present. All the special ed students I had before did great. I have 1 student this year whose topic is shaky. Mom works in the field and he knows a lot about it. So I said to him, let's work on the question more. The special ed math teacher decided to get involved, called mom and told her I had concerns. Mom panicked, didn't call me but called the math teacher and special ed chair and it became big. Now, the kid doesn't want to come to my class,when he does he is rude, I had my aide (the math teachers friend) tell me I was being unfair, and I still have concerns. I met with the math teacher, mom and admin today and the math teacher wants to meet with me and the student every time I talk about his project. I'm not sure how to continue supporting the student but more important how to work with someone who doesn't talk to me but calls parents because she disagrees with me.

Probationary Member

Default Hopeful help

Personally i've had a similar experience with a collegue sticking their oar in and disrupting my lessons and the respect the students had for me. I'm personally not a person to sit back and accept such actions so i was very direct and asked him to come for a coffee with me. Over coffee i professionally aired my views and disgust and reminded him that i wouldn't treat him the same. I was very professional but the teacher in question got the message. I personally think that you have to treat teacher bullys the sameway you tell your students - stand up to them. Otherwise you'll lose your respect and end up dreading going to work. Get it off your chest and be honest.

Hopefully this works for you and i wish you good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by urban teacher View Post
    While I am used to aides being disresptful, this is my first time with another teacher and I need help. I teach special ed at a high school and have a govenment class for seniors. They all have to do a senior project. The entire school does one and I love it. The students research a topic, come up with a service project and present. All the special ed students I had before did great. I have 1 student this year whose topic is shaky. Mom works in the field and he knows a lot about it. So I said to him, let's work on the question more. The special ed math teacher decided to get involved, called mom and told her I had concerns. Mom panicked, didn't call me but called the math teacher and special ed chair and it became big. Now, the kid doesn't want to come to my class,when he does he is rude, I had my aide (the math teachers friend) tell me I was being unfair, and I still have concerns. I met with the math teacher, mom and admin today and the math teacher wants to meet with me and the student every time I talk about his project. I'm not sure how to continue supporting the student but more important how to work with someone who doesn't talk to me but calls parents because she disagrees with me.

It sound like you hit a sore nerve. It sounds like you found out that the mother could wind up doing the project for the kid because she is in the field. It sounds like the special ed math teacher liked this idea, too, because then the mother and kid, but probably mostly the mother, would put together this project and it would be a positive reflection of the math teacher, too. I think you burst their bubble, by trying to get the kid to do something original or more on his/her own. I bet if you dig deep and ask around, this is part of the picture. Nice try for tring to do the right thing. But is it worth all this aggravation? You know what the kid is going to learn from this. Let your mother do the project and you, the student will take credit for it. Just wait until his mother isn't there to do his work in college or in the real world of work.