Default Subject time allotments

Knowing that time is such a precious thing.....
    What are the time allotments used by your schools for fourth graders? Particularly, how much time is spent on language arts, math, science, and social studies daily/ weekly? How are these subjects blocked in your schedule?

I am just a stressed out teacher wondering if my concerns with a new schedule are justified or if I am just being overly rebellious.

our school board insists on 100 minute/day of language and 90-100 minutes of math/day. It makes it a bit insane to fit everything in, but it's expected.

We are required to do 90 minutes/day of reading/language arts and 60-90 minutes/day of math. We don't have required times for social studies and science, but do 40-45 minutes/day of these as well. In order to do this we read nonfiction books and historical fiction during reading and spend time on graphing and other math concepts during science. In order to get all of the standards in we have to do cross-discipinary and interdisciplinary units. Here is my students' day:
    8:25-9:25 reading
    9:25-10:00-math
    10:00-10:20 snack & recess
    10:20-10:45 math
    10:45-11:30 science
    11:30-12:10 recess & lunch
    12:10-1:30 language arts (mostly writing)
    1:30-2:10 art, music, or PE
    2:10-2:30 silent reading or read aloud
    2:30-3:15 social studies

I take them to the computer lab to work in technology literacy during the language arts time twice a week, as well.
    Upnorth

It is very hard to get everything in during a day! I know your frustration. Here is our schedule for a normal day.

8:35-10:00 Language Arts (Reading, Writing, Spelling, SSR)

10:00 - 11:30 Math and Computer Lab (usually 30 minutes of
    computer, 1 hour of math

11:30 - 12:15 Lunch and Break

12:20 -1:00 Social Studies

1:00 - 1:45 Science

1:45 - 2:20 Specials

2:20 - 3:00 Another Special or Read Aloud

*We do not have Social Studies/Science on Thursdays because of an opitonal special (chorus)

I feel VERY crunched with the Language Arts time. It's just not enough time to get everything done!
    Last edited by AW2245; 10-08-2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: didn't finish my post before submitting

I teach only science and was teaching 30 minutes a day, but have finally convinced my principal and the teachers that I need more time per class, so now I teach 50 minutes 3x a week.

I think that this confirms what I was thinking, but it doesn't change the fact that I must deal with what has been dealt to us. Our new schedule allows for almost 2.5 hours of Language Arts, 1.5 hours of math, and 45 minutes of science or social studies at fourth grade. Since science will be a tested skill this spring for us, I am a little (okay A LOT) concerned.

At this point in my career, I honestly think that I could walk away and not look back. Hopefully that feeling will change because I really loved teaching. Now it is simply a job!

Just Ducky,
    I would try to incorporate as much science and social studies into your language arts time. Read nonfiction books, historical fiction, etc. and have them do writing projects that also correlate with your social studies and science topics. Then you can use your "science time" for investigations and more hands-on learning.
    Upnorth

I will do that to a great extent. My only problem with that is that I am the science teacher for all of the grade level and only have about a third of the students in my language arts class.

The higher ability kids will pick up on a lot by themselves, but those items tested need classroom instruction.

I need to just quit worrying and do what I can.