Probationary Member

Default Back to School Night

I am getting ready for the new school year in my 2's and 3
    s classroom. I am very nervous for back to school night. I would love any thoughts, ideas, or power point presentation ideas to help me prepare for back to school night. Thanks in advance.

Michelle

One thing that I did was walk parents through the day of their child. (Granted, I'm goofy and the parents are good sports, so it worked well)

I had some activities out on the tables and they had a few minutes of "choice time" while we brainstormed the academic skills their child would be exploring/learning in each activity.
    Then we had a "circle time" sitting on the rug at circle and talking through those activities and expectations and learning skills. Etc.

During "snack" we talked through policies, how we foster self-help skills, nap/toileting, "ouch reports" etc.

I did model how I take anecdotal notes and how that would be used for assessment, and I showed them a sample Individual Learning Plan that we use.

I knew my parents really wanted to hear about what their child was learning through play, so I emphasized that aspect of it.

Hope that helps!

I had students fill out the student survey to see how well they knew their child, it was pretty funny. I also talked about what we would do throughout the year. This year I think I will do a powerpoint as I took lots of pictures last year. I also did a tri-fold brochure with important information.

I am doing an easy art/craft project for the kids and parents to do together. This keeps the kids busy so I can talk to their parents about any concerns they have and answer all of the questions! Then I will display the project by the first day of school, so they can remember the artwork they did with their parents before school started.

I love the idea of walking the parents through the child's day. This will help the parent review with an anxious child about what will happen at school. For example, "While you're eating Snack at the Green Chair Table, I'll be at work getting a cup of coffee and eating a roll at my desk."