Probationary Member

Default managing a big kindergarten class

Hi,

I haven't been on here very much this year. (sorry!)

This year I taught my first kindergarten class in 28 years. I have had a lot of fun! I have a class of twelve, which I know is every teacher's dream.

Next year, I will be the only kindergarten teacher in our school.
    I will have approximately 24 students in my class, and I'm fairly certain there won't be any aides.

After all of these years of teaching (31), I should be able to manage anything, but that's not always the case. I have been spoiled with smaller classes.

I could use some tips for managing a classroom full of 5 year olds.

Thank you! I appreciate your help.

I think 24 is over the allowed legal ratio for fives. I'd look into that just to make sure your school isn't going to get into legal trouble. In some centers, it is the teacher's responsiblity to make sure his/her room meets all the requirements. Not thier job in many wyas but still a fact of it.

I'd have clear cut rules and consequences already set out for common situations. Have one or two "quiet" areas in the room where students who are having a hard time can go. Spend the first two weeks on social skills and classroom procedures. You need this foundation to be able to teach. Use tables or group desks in subsets. Have lots of things that encourage self-help skills. Most importantly, teach problem-solving. When the kids can work things out by themselves, it is great. Fives are capable of this after some coaching. Another thing is to be flexible. Plan some simple transitions and calming games to pull out when things might be getting out of control. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. For example, the room is getting out of hand at clean up time. You flick the lights or call out a certain phrase or word. Then, start the class singing "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes". The children stop fighting. They release energy. You prepare them for re-direction. Finally, you can return to the task at hand.

Senior Member Blosics 2 Champion irish223's Avatar

The number of students allowed per class is probably state-specific, and also covered under the teacher contract. In my district, we will not have the assistance of an aide until our class size is over 31. That is true for every grade, K-8, except for our pre-K, special ed, and bilingual classes.

I agree with all of Boxcar's suggestions. That was a great summary. In my school, most teachers count down from 5 to get students' attention. I use that too. In the beginning, it takes a full five seconds (or more!), but by the middle of the year, all I have to say is five most of the time and all eyes are on me.

I also suggest you check out a post by Kinder ND on another thread. She had a great idea for quiet time. She calls it a "Brain Vacation."

Probationary Member

Default managing a big kindergarten class

Hi,
    for my experience, be a teacher must very firm and cold. When the children look at you, they will behave.
    One thing is very important is, when 1st day you attend to the class, u must be very serious, teach them to manage their thing systematic. At the end they will follow the instruction you given. Remember: If they cant follow u must start again from beginning (example: passing the pencil for the homework time) , dont give up, because whatever u do will effect them. The result might not be fulfill now but when the year going to end u will see them improved because of your enforcement.
    Dont worry be faith to be a great teacher!