Default Kids Be Gone, Anti-Loitering Noise Maker

When I first read this article, I thought it was a joke.

A company called "Kids Be Gone" has developed an anti-loitering noise maker that emits a high frequency sound that has been compared to fingernails being dragged across a chalkboard. Amazingly enough, this sound may only be heard by teens or people in their early twenties who still have sensitive hair cells.

A mall in Maryland plans to introduce this device to drive away skateboarders. A school district in South Carolina installed one in a parking lot where students have been known to gather after games. A district official said that students in the paking lot would talk trash and pick fights. Use of this device has elminated use of this parking lot for after games loitering.

Although some civil liberty supporters are up in arms against this device, the ACLU has taken no official position. Critics claim that this device is "needlessly cruel."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/04/23/t....ap/index.html

What do you think?

Last edited by Chef Dave; 04-23-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Senior Member Snake Champion smithmt's Avatar
    Home of The Pork Tenerloin Sandwhich: Iowa!

This idea was first developed by a guy who owned a convenience store. It pulsates a high gigahertz sound that MOST adults have already lost the range for. this is also the range that teens have been downloading ringers for their phones so that teachers can't here the kid's phone ring in class. the ringer is called the "mosquito" and some of us that have been trying to protect our hearing can still hear it... what's funny is that a lot of students have high range hearing loss due to those ear phones.

I think it's a great idea if it OUTSIDE the mall... if it's inside, it would bug the heck out of me and I wouldn't shop there anymore.

Yes, some of my students thought they could get away with that ring tone...how old do they think I am?!?

Senior Member Snake Champion smithmt's Avatar
    Home of The Pork Tenerloin Sandwhich: Iowa!

yeah, it truly is priceless when you walk over to them and hold out your hand and they totally play innocent, like nothing is happening, and are really bummed when you demand the phone. I guess they assume that because you are a teacher you are an adult and therefore deaf to the pitch.

I like the idea of using the anti loitering machine to prevent property damage. Our school has had windows busted and paint balls shot on the buildings several times this year. Maybe an anti loitering machine would prevent some of that!

That makes sense.

It is ironic, though. Using a machine to keep kids away from school - a place that is for the kids.

I am in my 30s and can still hear the Mosquito. It doesn't matter, we don't get cell phone reception here at school, but I hear it when we are on field trips, etc.
    My husband is just a year older than I and can't hear the Mosquito because of his high frequency hearing loss from being in USMC so he doesn't know what all the fuss is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Dave View Post
    Amazingly enough, this sound may only be heard by teens or people in their early twenties who still have sensitive hair cells.
    And Aziz Moalemi. These devices emit frequencies between 17 kHz and 20 kHz. I can hear up to about 25 kHz. The sound is very annoying!

By the way, I find this to be blatant ageism. If a device were ever made to drive away the elderly, people would be complaining in a heartbeat. But of course it's okay when we're talking about teenagers.

-Aziz