Senior Member Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Papa's Burgeria Champion, Guardian Rock Champion, Globs Champion mopar's Avatar

Default Continent, Country, State

If you've struggled with students who don't know the difference between a continent, country, state, this may be helpful.

I have students make circles of increasing sizes. In the smallest circle the students write their address. Then they glue it onto a larger circle where they write their city. Then their county. Then their state, country, continent.

I display these in the room and remind the students of these to help them remember the difference.

This is a cute idea.

I got my first teaching job in south Texas working with 5th grade migrant children. When asked who had ever been out of state, several students raised their hands.

"I've been to Austin."

"I've been to Corpus Christi."

"I've been to Houston."

(sigh)

Senior Member Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Papa's Burgeria Champion, Guardian Rock Champion, Globs Champion mopar's Avatar

Yes we get that here too. Many of our students told us that their state was North America.

Students who struggle with conitnent, country and state? I have parents who struggle!

When the students never learn....go figure that they still struggle as an adult.

Thanks for the idea, mopar. This is one that will go directly to one of my new teachers. She teaches special education and is always looking for hands-on ideas for teaching Social Studies. This one is good. I know that she will appreciate it. I'll let her know that it came from you!

I have my 4th graders use their hands to symbolize their location. Both hands balled together represents our city, a wider circle is our county, etc. This helps, but they still struggle with the concept.

I did a similar thing as a class. I had a huge blue globe on the wall with North America cut out of red construction paper, our state in yellow, our city in green, and a picture of the school in the city.

Probationary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mopar View Post
    If you've struggled with students who don't know the difference between a continent, country, state, this may be helpful.

I have students make circles of increasing sizes. In the smallest circle the students write their address. Then they glue it onto a larger circle where they write their city. Then their county. Then their state, country, continent.

I display these in the room and remind the students of these to help them remember the difference.
    Thanks for this idea! I am going to try it with my 3rd grade ELL students tomorrow. They have no idea of their location other than their city.

I have done this and it was quite effective!