Default Postcards from teachers to students prior to the start of the school year

I was at a teaching store and happened to come across cute postcards that can be sent to students prior to the start of the school year. Since I am a new teacher at this school, I thought it would be a nice gesture.

Do any of you do this? What types of messages do you include on the postcard or letters?

Thanks!

I would love to be able to do this, and I had every intention to when I started teaching. Only to find out that at my school, I don't know until the night before school starts who is in my class. Makes me sad to not be able to introduce myself prior to the first day, but maybe you will be a little more lucky and be able to send those postcards. I would definately say go for it and just tell them your excited to have them in your class and that its going to be a great year

Wow I thought I got my class list late! They should be able to give it to you sooner than that. Anyway, I will find out my class list tomorrow, one week before school starts. We have Meet Your Teacher night on Thursday, so I will send out my postcards tomorrow in order to introduce myself and invite them to that special night. Many parents just don't seem to know about it. I will write something like:

Hello! My name is Mrs. **** and I am going to be your third grade teacher this year! I hope you have enjoyed your summer and I can't wait to meet you! You are invited to Meet Your Teacher Night on Thursday from 4-6pm and you can find me upstairs, in Room ***. You can also find out more about me on our class website www.****.com. I look forward to seeing you on Thursday and I know we will have a terrific year!

Hope that helps!

I planned on doing this (this will be my first year teaching - 1st grade special education) but I will not find out which students I will have until the day before school starts. I do plan on making a bag for each student with objects symbolizing different classroom community ideas.
    I also plan on sending a note home to the parents, introducing myself, giving them my contact information, and asking them questions about their children that they might want me to know (strengths, areas for improvement, what they like/dislike, etc.)

Default Nice welcome back for kids

I have done this 2 years in a row. I like the idea of my kids getting something in the mail from me. They like the idea of getting to know who their teacher is before the first day of school. The only problem I have had is kids who move or add right before school starts. So some kids get letters from me but are moving to new school and some don't get them because they enroll late.

I do this every year. I tell them things like we are going to be learning lots of new stuff, I am excited to have you in my class, hope ypu had a good vacation. My paernts always tell me that they think it is a cute idea and the kids are excited to get mail.