Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Probationary Member

I am a first year teacher. I teach 4th grade in a very small community. This year has been very stressful. I am the only teacher on my grade level, and I don't have any support in my classroom. I don't have much experience with this grade, and am learning everything as I go along. My prinicipal explain to me that I should show more initiative. Examples, another teacher is helping me with math. During that time, I observe what she is doing. And see how I can implement it in my classroom. I also, monitor my students. He told me that he wanted me to not observe, and grab a group of lower students to work with. Since this is my first year, I am learning most things on my own. I had to find a way to reach my lower kids. I put them in groups, and rotated centers. They weren't really working because my students get wild very easily(I have 26 students). So, I cannot spend much time with my group. So, it really wasn't working. Now I have someone to help me with my class during reading time. She came to me and asked what my kids needed help on. I showed her what I wanted to do, and what materials I was using. She then went out and printed out a bunch more. She really showed me a lot of stuff that I didn't think of. The prinicipal told me that I should of been the one to come-up with those materials. I have activities for my kids to do, but I have a lot of trouble finding the time to do them. Especially, when it's only me in my classroom for most of the day. I try them and when they don't work, I have to try something else. It's taking me awhile to figure out how everything should go. What advice could you all give me to show more initiative, and cope with the stress?

Probationary Member

I applied to a prestigious charter school and they told me I passed the first round review process, but that I now have to video record myself teaching a lesson and send it in to them, before they decide if they're going to invite me in for an interview. I've never had to video-record myself teaching a lesson, or had to burn it on a DVD. I'm not very tech-savvy, and am really nervous about making a video that is a good reflection of my teaching skills. Has anyone out there done this before, or have any good tips? My friend told me about something she uses called Demo "Lesson," that helps her upload teaching videos and build a portfolio to send to schools, but before I start filming, I want to know if any of you have any helpful advice. I have to finish this by next Friday, Feb 24th, so if you can respond by early next week, that'd be really helpful. Thanks so much!

Probationary Member

Your first year teaching can be tough, I suggest reading a new book called Searching for a Savior: The Trials and Triumphs of a first-Year Teacher.