Default The Hunger Games - banned???

In my district, the powers that be are considering banning The Hunger Games
    It seems to me that the real reason behind this isn't the violence, as they are trying to say it is, but the deeper themes and messages about society.
    Is anyone else experiencing this is their districts? Does anyone else feel that it should be banned? Personally, I absolutely LOVED the series and can't see the logic behind this...
    http://www.pyramidreading.com ->AWESOME reading website!

Are they banning the books or just the movie? Banning the books will attract a lot of interest from outside organisations.

The discussion is about the books. From what I hear, this discussion is taking place in many districts...
    http://www.pyramidreading.com ->AWESOME reading website!

Would they ban them from school libraries or try to ban students from bringing their own books onto school grounds? If their objection is violence it gets back to the old point about the Bible condoning some of the violence ever presented as non-fiction.

Default can't say I'm surprised

In fact, I would expect nothing else. History shows that any literature that even remotely delves into issues that are "hot" at the time will be subject to banning. Check out the list of books banned through history...Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn being the obvious. But, just a few weeks ago, I spoke with a middle school teacher who was having to fill out all the "necessary paper work" involved when a parent questions reading material. In her case, the "questionable" literature....The Outsiders...besides all of the teachable moments in The Outsiders, I had to laugh because, compared to what is out today, The Outsiders, is beyond mild. Reminds me of a quote I read not to long ago...."Do you support freedom of speech, or only when you are agreeing with what is being said"...

Probationary Member

I'm from Australia and I know a number of parents of upper primary school age children who are horrified at the thought of their 'tweens' watching or reading the books. It is actually a suggested novel for the Australian Curriculum I believe. I quite enjoyed the novels and the first movie. When people raise the concern about 'kids killing kids', I like to mention 'Lord of the Flies' which has been around for years and contains some contentious themes.

These posts actually sent chills up and down my spine!!! Really? Ban the Hunger Games?!!! My students love these books, and so do I. They have a chance to cheer for the good guy, to examine the injustice of the haves and have-nots that truly exists, the ridiculousness of The Capital...what a crime if these books were denied to our students. I have probably 3 sets of the whole series, that I own, and I can't keep them on my book shelf because the students have borrowed them. I wonder if the parents who have their knickers in a knot about the books, have read them or if they are reacting to some other influence. Grrrrr...

Quote Originally Posted by Clearly Canadian View Post
    I wonder if the parents who have their knickers in a knot about the books, have read them or if they are reacting to some other influence. Grrrrr...
    The first book came out in 2008 and not until the film has there been this attempt at censorship. I think that probably answers your question. The good news is that this kind of censorship can only generate curiosity. I still have to wonder just how they'd go about trying to enforce such a ban, and if it would be more symbolic than anything else.

It's a good thing The Golden Compass was a flop at the box office or perhaps Phillip Pullman would be getting banned, too.

Quote Originally Posted by yeongo saem View Post
    It's a good thing The Golden Compass was a flop at the box office or perhaps Phillip Pullman would be getting banned, too.
    LOL! Right you are Yeongo Saem! The Catholic Church, of which I am a member, tried to
    discourage people from seeing the Golden Compass; they did not go so far as to "ban" the movie
    (as used to be done) but were pretty clear on their hope that we would not view it.

I have read the Hunger Games and am halfway through the second book. Can't wait to see the
    third one. Saw the movie twice. I think it to be a very valid allegory on the state of society in
    many developed and developing nations today.

I will wager than the resistance being put forth in the OPs community is being led by the religious
    right. I live in the bible belt and see a lot of their carryings on. I showed a video about possible
    alien life, done by Steven Hawkings, and got called down by a local evangelical parent for
    "promoting atheism." Yes, Hawkings is an athiest, but never mentions that in his video.

People like this are proof that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.