Probationary Member

Default New teacher in FL, please help

I have been a teacher in FL for two years now and have been teaching under my temporary certificate which expires the end of June. I have completed all of the requirements for my permenant certificate with the exception of Florida approved Professional Education Competence Program administered and documented by your employer. This was supposed to have been completed by my principal last year but wasn't and this year we have a new principal who informed me that she doesn't have time to complete it before my temp cert expires. Any advice on how to handle this? Has anyone else had problemd getting the principal to complete their program documents?

Member Space Invaders Champion scrivener's Avatar

Ah, that sucks. Have you considered presenting your situation to the licensing board for advice? I wonder if they'd grant you a one-year extension; you could provide proof of your employment and maybe a signed letter from the current principal.

Probationary Member

Default Not in FL

I did contact the Florida department of education and was told that FL does not give extensions under any circumstances. I did contact the Union representative yesterday and she's checking to see what can be done. I also have a meeting with the Principal today after school to see what she can do.