Probationary Member

Post 2nd Graders writing biographies

I am a 2nd grade teacher and we are studying biographies. I would like to have each of my students research a person and write their own biography on that person. My students have never done a research project before. Is this too big of a task for them? What things can I do to help support them?

Perhaps you could have them write a biography of their parent first?

I would do baby-steps...how about writing an autobiography in class, a homework assignment where they interview and write the biography of a family member, THEN work in class to research and write about someone else???

I would also start small, interviewing a parent first is a great idea by hweber. After that you could move on to a well known person and just focus on a few specific details (where and when they were born, where they grew up, what their first job was, why they're well known), things like that.

I remember doing a recorded interview of my own mother when I was in high school, I wish I could find it now actually, it would be interesting to watch.
    Rich Games for Learning <-- Free printable games here!

Probationary Member

The simple and basic definition to understand biography is that an account of someone's life written by someone else is called biography and as you told above you are a teacher of 2nd grade and as a teacher you know that its not easy to written biography on someone's until you came to know a hole history of his/her life.Hope you guys understand what i want to say.

The tasks seems a bit difficult, but why dont you ask them to research on their favorite sports person or pop star. That will develop their interest. Before giving them the task you will have to explain them what it is, how it is to be done and give them a lot of examples. Check if they understood it and only then go ahead.

Aren't second graders too young to write biographies. They are kids and may not understand how to research and then write about someone. It could be unnecessary pressure on them. You rather introduce them to activities they enjoy doing and also will learn from them. Activities that are of their level.