Probationary Member

Default Received non-reelect and signed it, should I/can I resign?

Not sure if this is the right section to post, if is the wrong place, I do apologize.

First year teacher in new district (K-6 school).

If I CAN resign, what are the pros and cons to consider?
    If I CANNOT resign, do I have other options? What should I be doing after signing a non-reelect form? Can I rescind the decision?

Also is it legal to have signed the non-reelect form with just the principal and myself? Should there be a witness?

Should I even resign?

Any information or experiences would be appreciated. Not sure what to do and reading various opinions on the matter. Let me know if there is anything else I should consider. Very overwhelmed, not sure what to do and what my options are.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure where you are located, but in my area, almost all teachers who are nontenured (and therefore, on a yearly contract) sign a form every Spring acknowledging that they understand that their contract will not be renewed in the Fall.....BUT most of them are renewed after all. Basically, it covers the district's butt if funding isn't there for the position or they decide that they would just rather hire someone else. (The latter rarely happens without a good reason.)

Once a teacher has 5 years experience and have positive evaluations, they sign a "continuing contract." At that point, we no longer sign each Spring and are fairly certain (barring major funding issues or something similar) that we have a job the next school year.

Bottom line: I would talk to my supervising principal. What did the non-reelect actually mean? That you definately don't have a job? That you probably have a job, but the district was covering all the bases?

If you do decide to leave, it's not like you were FIRED...you simply weren't renewed. Happens to new teachers all the time.

Do you mean resign or re-sign (i.e. renew)? That little dash makes a big difference in contract negotiations.

Probationary Member

I am in California and we do not sign a form as you do in my district. My district hired about 90 new teachers (k-12) and non re elected 13 probationary (less than 2 years) teachers this year. 2 of those were at my site, myself included.

A non re elect means that I am not renewed and will not be working in the district next year. I suppose there is more to my story than simply getting a non re elect:

I do not have bad observations or evaluations this year, but was given a non re elect letter to sign MINUTES before school started (WITH students in the room). I was honestly upset and did not understand why. I have never felt that my P liked me, but I have done nothing legally wrong nor was I a subpar teacher to lead me to think that I would not be renewed.

Most everyone at my site was shocked and upset upon finding out. My own grade level team wasn't sure why I was non re elected! I've had union reps look over my observations/evals and tell me they see nothing that stands out as worthy of not getting renewed for next school year. I am so discouraged and feel as though my entire teaching career is already heading towards to a terrible start. I am at a loss of what I should/need to do next. HELP!!!!!

Probationary Member

I mean resign as in leave by my own choice.

Member Space Invaders Champion scrivener's Avatar

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you care about this job and that you're doing it fairly well. Understand that when it comes to managing a school, a principal has many things to consider, and if for some reason you were not asked to return next year, you probably shouldn't take it TOO personally.

I say not to take it TOO personally because who knows? Maybe it IS personal. In any case, the principal is doing the job he or she has to do, and if you're sure you want to teach, take it as a sign that this is not a good match. Good teachers WILL find good positions, but as you know, it can be tough for new teachers to find those positions right off. There is some amount of dues-paying we all must face in some way. Perhaps this is yours.

I wish you well. Keep looking, if you do need to move to another school. There are a LOT of schools out there, and opportunities for good teachers invariably open up somewhere down the line—for new teachers, it tends to be a bit further down the line than for experienced teachers, but that's how it goes.

And you know you can always come here for encouragement.