Probationary Member

Wink Classroom Management of Children with Exceptionalities

Hi! I am Jesi,a student from University of Santo Tomas, currently taking up Bachelor of Elementary Education major in Special Education. I would just like to ask on how could I manage the behavior of children with special needs in the near future? Your advices would surely be appreciated Thank you in advance

Probationary Member

When setting up an efficient and effective classroom management, students with special needs must be addressed individually. Remember that each student is unique in terms of behavioral needs. Know and understand first their specific behavioral needs or issues then come up with interventions which can deal with it. Interventions must be individualized and implemented with specific behavioral outcomes that meet the unique needs of the students.

Probationary Member

Thank you ma'am. This will surely help me especially in teaching and learning process

create daily behavior charts... for every 'point' earned for positive behavior, a student can earn 1 minute of free time doing something fun of their choice, such as computer time, drawing time, or game time

Probationary Member

I like Red's idea - it flows with the whole ABA/PBS (applied behavior analysis and positive behavior support) model. Also, as you're preparing for your first year of teaching, realize that there will be students who will impress you as well as upset you. Classroom management is less about "control" as it is about "support." Try to meet each student's individual needs (some may need to move around a lot, others will need some space, others will need to feel in control of a situation) while also maintaining an overall positive environment. It's challenging, but success feels good for you AND for them.