Probationary Member

Default problems in classroom

As future elementary teacher and "gay/lesbian bullying" issues are quite increasing, Do I need to prevent my students who has signs of becoming gay/lesbian to become one or even are one already?

Probationary Member

Default Problems in the classroom

well, I think as a teacher, you must have a wide and deeper understanding if ever a student of yours is showing a side opposite to his/her real gender. They must just be guided accordingly and be able to understand better of who they really are.

You cannot prevent someone from becoming who they are. Being gay/lesbian is no more a choice that being black or white. Picture a teacher saying, "I have a student with a black mother and white father who has been acting very black lately. Should I advise him to act more white?"
    http://www.pyramidreading.com ->AWESOME reading website!

I absolutely agree with PyramidReading. People are what they are and we should accept and respect the way they are or the way they feel.

Member Space Invaders Champion scrivener's Avatar

Janeene:

What you are suggesting is that it is the bullying victim's responsibility not to be the sort of student who is bullied. This is a backward approach, and you have GOT to rethink it. When a student is bullied, it is NOT because of anything he or she is, or anything he or she does. It is because the bullying students do not value that student as a human being.

As teachers, our response is to address THAT failing, the failing of some students to value others whoever or whatever they are. When a person is raped, do we tell the victim to behave differently, or do we throw the perpetrator in jail?