Probationary Member

Question Career Changer: Future HS Chemistry Teacher

Hi everyone

I am new to the site, but I wanted to introduce myself and ask a question.

I am an attempted career changer, as in attempting to change from park ranger to high school chemistry teacher. I am taking my praxis exam on March 10 and I have been studying like a crazy person for these test because I have been out of school for going on 9 years.

Does anyone have any recommendations about making this move? How to do it tactfully, if it is possible?

Senior Member Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Papa's Burgeria Champion, Guardian Rock Champion, Globs Champion mopar's Avatar

Welcome! There is definitely a demand for high school chem teachers, so if you can pass the praxis, go for it!

Probationary Member

Thanks for the welcome Mopar.

I really want to make this move. I am a little nervous because it has been so long since I have been in a classroom and even then it was just student teaching. I always thought I would never use my teaching degree so I haven't kept up with much.

On the recommendation of some friends (who are teachers) and my sister (who is a vice principal) I have been visiting the states educational association web site to keep up with the changes that are happening within the department right now. I also have been looking into inservices that I might be able to attend in the summer, as long as I have my praxis passed. I have been bookmarking several sites for chemistry and physical science lessons also.

I have a to do list for when I pass my praxis, like printing and notebooking all the state standards for chemistry, organizing lesson plans and labs for those standards, etc..

Hopefully these things will help me transition into teaching and will make the move a littel less frustrating.

I am so afraid of being thrown into a classroom 2 weeks before school starts and not being prepared

Good luck cby! Let us know how it goes. And, just put your fears to rest - lots of us get our first positions two weeks before school starts. It is a busy, frantic two weeks, but it is so worth it. You sound like you have a good handle on how to prepare, so that will be in your favor.

Again, let us know how it goes!

Probationary Member

Thanks for the welcomes from everyone. I took my Praxis exam on Saturday and to be honest, I really don't know how I did on it. I feel ok about parts of it, but horrible about other sections of the test. I am seriously considering re-registration for the exam and if I passed Praxis will automatically refund the fee but if not I am registered for the exam in April (with no late fees).

I just hope I passed. I am really ready to make this move soon!