Probationary Member

Smile New Pre-K teacher needs help finding a solution to painful dry, cracked hands!!

Hi everybody! I'm fairly new to teaching and work in a Pre-K classroom. I've been working with kids and in different classrooms and daycares for years, but now that I am in the classroom full time, I am really noticing the problem. I am washing my hands all the time (of course) and I use hand sanitizer as well (which I know dries
    everything out) and my hands are taking a beating, especially since it's winter. I
    live in Arizona so it isn't super cold exactly, but it is very dry. My hands and
    knuckles are getting super dry, red, cracked, and painful! I use lotion and have
    tried so many different types of hand lotions that all claim to be "intensive" or
    "extra nourishing".. but nothing is working! Anybody have any tips or advice on
    how to soothe my skin or do you know of any product that has really worked for
    you? Thank you so much, I appreciate it!

Probationary Member

I teach higher up than pre-K but i feel like you have to protect yourself more because they dont know to wash their hands yet... so i understand your need use hand sanitizers frequently..
    Have you thought about maybe the alcohol in the sanitizer has been drying your hands out.. thats what happened to me!! But low and behold I found an alcohol free hand sanitizer that protects for 24 hours!! I know I couldn't believe it either but I called them and got information on it and it sounds legit. I would recommend checking out their website or their facebook page its called Home-Rid. I ordered it online and it was shipped to me so at least it was easy good luck I hope you get better

Probationary Member

Thank you! (:

Probationary Member

Amlactin is a lotion you can get over the counter or from the pharmacy and it works wonders! Not cheap but very worth it. I am no longer in Pre-K but use it frequently at night with cotton gloves. Good luck!

I have heard that lip balm works by applying to the cracks every night before bedtime.