Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Probationary Member

Default Sending 5 year old to 2 year old room for misbehavior

I had to intervene today with a colleague who was instructing a 5 year old boy to go to the 2 year old room for his continual misbehavior. I said it felt humiliating to me, she's going to be mad with me tomorrow. What do you all think?

BTW I tried to make the intervention "private", and spoke quietly with my mouth turned away from the children, but it all happened so quickly that was the best I could do. Our Director is out, and I am holding down the office duties in her absence.

I read this as a parent..not a teacher....had I been the parent of a 2 year old in that class and I came to pick up my child and realized that there was a child 3 years older than mine, who was bigger than mine, and was a behavior problem that had been sent to the same room as MY CHILD, I would have been majorly pissed (sorry).

If the teacher can't control the kid in the class they are supposed to be in, they don't need to send them to a class with younger kids who may be hurt or may learn those types of behaviors.

As for your situation that you are in with your co-worker, try explaining it from the parent's point of view. They probably hadn't even thought of that....they were trying to think of something to do that would make their job easier, but it isn't fair to that class full of 2 year olds to send the 5 year old behavior problem to them. I'm pretty sure that their parents wouldn't be happy about it either.

Probationary Member

Thank you for replying. Your reflection from the point of view of the 2 year old parent group was very helpful. Sue

Probationary Member

I would've been outraged as well. I will be starting a job as a lead 2 year old teacher soon, and I already know that it'll be a challenge. Why add a 5 year old troubled student to the mix of hyperactive terrible two's? (I'm not saying they're terrible, but they're just learning and exploring at 2, and can be a handful.)

Not only outraged as the parent of a 2 yr old but that 5 yr old is now humiliated because he was put into a 2 yr old classroom. A timeout in another area of the room would have been more appropriate in my opinion.

Probationary Member

I think you did the right thing. Yes, your colleague may be upset with you tomorrow, but you still
    did the right thing. The kids are always our first priority, and you were doing what was in the best
    interest of the child. (:

Probationary Member

I don't see a problem with this at all to be honest. I work in the preschool age room at a daycare, and I wouldn't hesitate to send a kid to the younger classroom if they were behaving horribly. I've never done it, but sometimes just removing the child from the classroom significantly improves their behavior. Also as a parent in the younger class, I wouldn't have a problem with an older class sitting in time out in my child's class. That'd just be silly.

Ashley, do you have children?

Probationary Member

No. I don't. However, I have been the teacher in the younger kid class that took the misbehaving child. Parents picked up their two year olds while the older kid was sitting in time out, and not a single one had a problem with the situation.

The way this employee handled the situation was not developmentally appropriate. According to NAEYC standards as well as any early childhood education classes, this is not appropriate.