Probationary Member

Default Parental Involvement and Academic Achievement

Hi everyone!

I'm new here. My name is Emily and I'm a student in Texas seeking my certification to teach grades 4-8. Currently, I am enrolled in a research for educational development class. The topic that I have chosen to investigate for my research study is the link between parental involvement and academic achievement. Because the class is accelerated, I am on a very tight schedule for completing and reporting my research. I created a short interview for teachers in order to obtain their observations about the subject; I have sent it out to several teachers, but only a handful have actually replied at this point.

I decided to post here in an attempt at getting a few volunteers who would be willing to help me and complete my interview. If there is anyone out there who is able and willing to help me, I have posted the short, demographic survey and interview below. Since I'm a newbie and can't post my email address, I can utilize any responses posted to this board; or, please respond with your email address and I can email you the interview.

Thank you for your time!

The purpose of the following survey and interview is to gather data for a study aimed at investigating the ways in which parental involvement might affect student achievement.

First, please complete this short, demographic survey:

1. Are you male or female?

2. In what year were you born?

3. What is the highest level of education that you have completed?
    a. 4-year Degree (BA, BS)
    b. Master’s Degree
    c. Doctoral Degree

4. What is your race? (response optional)
    a. White
    b. White, non-Hispanic
    c. African-American
    d. Hispanic
    e. Asian-Pacific Islander
    f. Native American

5. How many years have you been teaching?

6. Which grade(s) do you teach?

7. Which subject(s) do you teach?

8. In which city and state do you teach?

Please continue to interview questions on next page.

-------------------------------------

The following definitions should be considered while answering the interview questions:

Parental involvement—involvement by parents in the educational lives of their children. Involvement can be comprised of home-based activities, such as helping with homework, discussing issues pertaining to school, etc., OR school-based activities, such as attending PTA meetings and communicating with teachers, OR any combination of the two.
    Student achievement—achievement, in this case, is defined as overall academic performance and rank according to teacher observation.

1. Please describe one or two specific instances in which you observed a correlation (positive or negative) between parental involvement and the achievement levels of your student(s).

2. Can you describe a time when you perceived a cause for the absence of parental involvement?

3. In your opinion, what action(s) by parents might make the greatest impact (either positive or negative) upon their children’s academic achievement?

4. In your words, what are the differences (academic, emotional, social, etc.) between a child whose parents are involved and one whose parents are not involved?

5. Please list and elaborate upon any ways in which you believe that the presence or absence of parental involvement might affect student achievement.

Default Survey Response

Hope this helps!

1. Are you male or female?
    FEMALE

2. In what year were you born?

3. What is the highest level of education that you have completed?
    a. 4-year Degree (BA, BS)
    b. Master’s Degree
    c. Doctoral Degree
    B - MASTER'S DEGREE

4. What is your race? (response optional)
    a. White
    b. White, non-Hispanic
    c. African-American
    d. Hispanic
    e. Asian-Pacific Islander
    f. Native American
    A - WHITE

5. How many years have you been teaching?

6. Which grade(s) do you teach?
    9-12

7. Which subject(s) do you teach?
    GLOBAL STUDIES & US HISTORY

8. In which city and state do you teach?
    TOWN NAME WITHHELD, SC

Please continue to interview questions on next page.

-------------------------------------

The following definitions should be considered while answering the interview questions:

• Parental involvement—involvement by parents in the educational lives of their children. Involvement can be comprised of home-based activities, such as helping with homework, discussing issues pertaining to school, etc., OR school-based activities, such as attending PTA meetings and communicating with teachers, OR any combination of the two.
    • Student achievement—achievement, in this case, is defined as overall academic performance and rank according to teacher observation.

1. Please describe one or two specific instances in which you observed a correlation (positive or negative) between parental involvement and the achievement levels of your student(s).

** During my student teaching internship, I taught in a high SES district. Our parents were very involved via email, phone, and face-to-face conferences. Out of 25 students in each class, perhaps 1 or 2 failed to earn passing grades. By contrast, in my current job (in a low SES school), I only have 3 students in 2 classes who are passing. Most of our parents at this school ignore our attempts at communication, or come in combative. With that example set before the kids, it's no wonder that the kids are combative and dismissive too when we try to tell them how important it is that they do their homework and classword as assigned and that they have to take some responsibility for their own education.

2. Can you describe a time when you perceived a cause for the absence of parental involvement?
    *** In some cases, parents are busy trying to make ends meet. In many cases, the parents were not successful in school themselves, and they have passed their own negative opinions down to their children. In other cases, the parents want their children to do well, but it is the child that runs the household. Some of our students are so undisciplined that they have no structure at home and are allowed to come and go as they please. The parents are out of control, which means that the only discipline the kids get is when they come to school. It's not surprising when they fight so hard against the rules we put in place here to guide them.

3. In your opinion, what action(s) by parents might make the greatest impact (either positive or negative) upon their children’s academic achievement?
    *** Parents should teach their children early that education is important - that it will open doors for them and create opportunities throughout their lives. One can lose status, homes, and cars, but no one can take away a person's eduation and the ability to think for themselves. Just because a parent had a bad experience in school, the child doesn't have to have a bad experience too. Things can change with a willingness to work, and a little perseverance.

4. In your words, what are the differences (academic, emotional, social, etc.) between a child whose parents are involved and one whose parents are not involved?
    *** When the parents are involved, teens have more awareness of what's next...more ability to plan ahead at least a little bit. In other words, "I have to pass this class, whether or not I like it, because I can't get into college without it." They are grade motivated, more aware of the world around them, have better attitudes and outlooks. They have more respect for authority. Children whose parents are uninvolved in their educations are generally unaware of the larger world around them, frequently expect academic failure, and create a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure by refusing to participate in class and complete assigned work.

5. Please list and elaborate upon any ways in which you believe that the presence or absence of parental involvement might affect student achievement.
    *** I think I've answered this one in the questions above. Of course, my answers are general observations and there are exceptions to every rule. Sometimes a kid with everything going for him or her still fails to succeed, and sometimes a kid with the deck firmly stacked against him or her manages to find a way to succeed. But generally speaking, I think parental involvement is CRUCIAL to student success. I think those parents who fail to motiviate their children to do the best they can in school do their kids a massive disservice that will hold them back for years to come.

Good luck with your reasearch project!