Probationary Member

Default Teaching Methods - Advice from Real Teachers

Hello, I'm a university student in the elementary education program. I need some advice from other elementary/middle school teachers about the following questions:

1. As a future teacher, what are some ways I can establish a welcoming and engaging climate for learning?

2. Can you give me some examples of ways in which I can attempt to connect with my future students?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

1. Find a good school.

2. Get to know them as individuals and be concerned about their lives. Work with them through extra-curricular activities. If they're interested in the subject you teach try to help them learn more than what the basic curriculum provides; if they're not don't take it personally. Treat problems as problems and not as persons - remember that they'll have their ups and downs and that intolerable little 13-year-old brat might turn into a wonderful person some day. Use gifts but not bribes. Greet them with smiles.

Probationary Member

Thank you!

1. Welcome students at the door, say good morning to each of them. Be prepared for class, admit when you don't know something and brainstorm ways to figure out the answer.

2. Get to know your students as more than a test score. Go to their extra curricular activities. Talk to them, eat lunch with them. Sit with them, work with them. Don't embarrass them.

Probationary Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

1. Put yourself in a good mood. Let the students know they can make mistakes with their work or that it's alright to not understand something.

2. Converse with your students and get to know what they like playing with or watching at home. Even if it's not something you can relate to them about or understand, ask them to explain it and they can really open up.

I love all these answers

Probationary Member

1. Have a friendly atmosphere inside the classroom to make the students feel welcome and at ease. At least, smile to all your students for them to feel comfortable with you.

2. Comment on their good works even if it is simple. This will motivate them to do well in school. Also, talk with them rather than just talking to them. You will be a part of the student's life even as a teacher and it's a good start to talk with them starting in simple chats.

Probationary Member

Thanks everyone for the replies, this was really helpful!