Probationary Member

Default girl's locker room

I teach 8th grade girl's PE. Recently, one of the girls forgot to close the door to the girl's locker room. Nobody realized that the door was left open. Later, when the boys walked by, they were able to see right into the girl's locker room. Most of the girls were in their underwear. Some of the girls were in the nude. Boys saw girls in the nude. Finally, one of the girls realized the door was open, and closed the door. I can understand a girl forgetting to close the door. How would you handle this situation?

Wow - that is awful. I'd be going to tell the principal very very quickly, before a parent calls.

I would invest in a partition to place inside every locker room so that whenever anyone is walking by they can't see into the locker room even if the door is open. It sounds like a horrible design on the way your building is laid out. Restrooms and locker rooms should have a turn as you walk into the door so that anyone looking in can only see a wall.

Otherwise, unless you designed the building AND personally left the door open, I wouldn't do anything other than prepare a statement that says that you are sorry that a student left the door open and this incident occurred and that steps are being taken to assure that it does not happen again.

I should also add a thread alert - this is the OP's first ever post and it's about a voyeuristic subject. While it could be completely legitimate it could also be a troll trying to get real-life anecdotes about matters pertaining to girls and dressing rooms.

Probationary Member

Thanks for the advice. No, I'm not a troll. It's easier to talk about this with strangers than on a board where people know me.

thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by christinalarson View Post
    Thanks for the advice. No, I'm not a troll. It's easier to talk about this with strangers than on a board where people know me.

thanks again.
    Sorry then. I just noticed that there were two new posters yesterday, one making a post re: a girls locker room and another a girls toilet. A while back there was a weirdo trolling a bunch of teachers forums starting threads about kids wetting themselves.

A few comments:

1) I think you handled it just fine.
    2) I think you need to invest in what yeongo saem mentioned. Could save the school a lawsuit.
    3) TERRIBLE building design. How old is the building? Although I went to an all boy's high school, we never really had a problem seeing each other in our drawers/nude.
    4) I must admit I laughed at bit at some of the replies.
    Who dares to teach must never cease to learn.

Probationary Member

I think it was built in the 1960's.

The door was between the locker room and the equipment room. It was not a door to the outside. The doors to the outside have a partition to prevent people from seeing in.

This is a door between the equipment room and the girl's locker room. Usually, there is no one in the equipment room anyway, so it might not have seemed like a big deal to the girls to keep the door closed. However, even though the equipment room is physically adjoining the girls locker room, the equipment room is not part of the girls locker room. Boys are allowed in the equipment room. Boys came in the equipment room to get tennis rackets, and the door between the equipment room, and the girls locker room was wide open. I don't know for certain that boys saw girls nude but I do know that some girls were nude, because there were girls in the shower, so it's at least possible that boys saw girls nude. Of course, the boys deny having seen anything because they don;t want to get in trouble.

Some girls might not have even realized that the equipment room was not part of the girls locker room. I talked the girls about the importance of keeping the door closed, and I put a sign the door, saying "Warning: Co-ed Area. Do not enter Undressed! Keep this door closed!"

May I also suggest that it's not too much for teachers, even PE teachers, who speak English as a first language to learn how an apostrophe works? Presumably more than one girl uses the locker room so it would be girls' locker room. Alternatively, "girls" could work as an adjective and it could be girls locker room, though for segregated rooms the plural possessive is more common. It's not "girl's locker room" unless every girl has her own room.

1960's refers to something belonging to the year 1960, as in "1960's greatest moment was the election of Kennedy". 1960s' refers to something belonging to the years 1960-1969, as in "The Cuban missile crisis was the 1960s' darkest hour". 1960s refers to things pertaining to that decade, as in "The locker rooms were built iin the 1960s".