PDA

View Full Version : A touching story...

3xagonzales
03-04-2009, 06:03 PM
One day a teacher asked her students to list the names of the other students in the room on two sheets of paper, leaving a space between each name.Then she told them to think of the nicest thing they could say about each of their classmates and write it down.

It took the remainder of the class period to finish their assignment, and as the students left the room, each one handed in the papers.

That Saturday, the teacher wrote down the name of each student on a separate sheet of paper, and listed what everyone else had said about that individual.

On Monday she gave each student his or her list. Before long, the entire class was smiling. "Really?" she heard whispered. "I never knew that I meant anything to anyone!" and, "I didn't know others liked me somuch," were most of the comments.No one ever mentioned those papers in class again. She never knew if they discussed them after class or with their parents, but it didn't matter.

The exercise had accomplished its purpose. The students were happy with themselves and one another. That group of students moved on.

Several years later, one of the students was killed in VietNam and his teacher attended the funeral of that special student. She had never seen a service man in a military coffin before. He looked so handsome, so mature.

The church was packed with his friends. One by one those who loved him took a last walk by the coffin. The teacher was the last one to bless the coffin.

As she stood there, one of the soldiers who acted as pall bearer came up to her. "Were you Mark's math teacher?" he asked. She nodded: "yes." Then he said: "Mark talked about you a lot."After the funeral, most of Mark's former classmates went together to a luncheon. Mark's mother and father were there, obviously waiting to speak with his teacher.

"We want to show you something," his father said, taking a wallet out of his pocket. "They found this on Mark when he was killed. We thought you might recognize it."Opening the billfold, he carefully removed two worn pieces of notebook paper that had obviously been taped, folded and refolded many times. T

he teacher knew without looking that the papers were the ones on which she had listed all the good things each of Mark's classmates had said about him."Thank you so much for doing that," Mark's mother said. "As you can see, Mark treasured it."All of Mark's former classmates started to gather around.

Charlie smiled rather sheepishly and said, "I still have my list. It's in the top drawer of my desk at home." Chuck's wife said, "Chuck asked me to put his in our wedding album."

"I have mine too," Marilyn said. "It's in my diary."Then Vicki, another classmate, reached into her pocketbook, took out her wallet and showed her worn and frazzled list to the group.

"I carry this with me at all times," Vicki said and without batting an eyelash, she continued: "I think we all saved our lists."

That's when the teacher finally sat down and cried. She cried for Mark and for all his friends who would never see him again.

The density of people in society is so thick that we forget that life will end one day.

And we don't know when that one day will be.So please, tell the people you love and care for, that they are special and important. Tell them, before it is too late.

And One Way To Accomplish This Is: Forward this message on. If you do not send it, you will have, once again passed up the wonderful opportunity to do something nice and beautiful.If you're "too busy" to take those few minutes right now to forward this message on, would this be the VERY first time you didn't do that little thing that would make a difference in your relationships?

The more people that you send this to, the better you'll be at reaching out to those you care about.Remember, you reap what you sow. What you put into the lives of others comes back into your own.:cry2:

-that's a very touching story.. what do you think?:reading:

SiobhanMarie
04-04-2009, 05:19 PM
I think it's sweet. In my senior year at school we got to 'mentor' some of the newbies and we had our warm and fuzzies. Everyone had to write one for everyone saying what we liked about each other, and I kept mine. I really like the idea.

homeschooler2
04-23-2009, 02:23 PM
WOW! This is very touching I will be sharing this with my family. As of December 31, 2008 I am in remesion from lung cancer 2nd hand smoking. This disease took a major tole on my family, but since it is now over I think they have forgotten how quick things can happen. I will definitely do this with them. Thanks

SiobhanMarie
04-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Oh homeschooler2! That's terrible - best of luck. It's a fantastically beautiful little story and a great idea isn't it!

auntbea
05-03-2009, 06:27 AM
Homeschooler2, I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. Oh my goodness. Such a touching story. I had read it before but forgotten it. I am planning a end of the year "book" for my kids, you know, an all about me, type of thing. Anyway, I think this would fit in nicely. It seems these last few weeks, they have been sooooo mean to each other. This may make a turning point. 15 more days to go!!!!

priyaanka
08-10-2009, 05:46 AM
So very meaningful stories.
Thanks for posting.:reading2:

CoolBlue
10-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Why is it that so many warm fuzzies have to come from a place of darkness?

hweber
10-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Coolblue - because if we didn't have places of darkness, we would be grateful for the light.

CoolBlue
10-05-2009, 06:10 AM
I guess I knew that. I just don't want it to be true.

Sonrisa
02-19-2010, 07:42 PM
I was a camp counselor one summer. It was a very exciting experience because I was a former camper from my grade school years. The summer had been going great. Lots of new friends and I knew that I had become that special counselor to many campers just as I had experienced myself. At the end of camp, the counselors all had the opportunity to leave simple "I'll miss you" notes in envelopes left in the main hall. I am not one for leaving memorable messages or doing a good job at keeping long distant relationships going so I unfortunatly chose not to participate in leaving "empty" messages like "I had so much fun with you this summer, you are a great person, blahblahblah. I kept my envelope of messages for many years, but in my attempt to clear my clutter, I threw all but one message away. It is on my bulletin board which travels with me to each new residence and is the first thing that goes up on the wall. On that board is also a piece of a collective poem written by one of those special counselors I had as a child. I treasure these two pieces of paper and read them over and over when I am down and out. I find it so amazing how that counselor and co counselor were aable to write something so simple and have it still touch my heart and still be so true to my character so many years (15+ years) later.

thought id share my story sorry for the length
I guess I could leave with ... take the time to find that special something to say to each child. You may not think your message is meanigful or important, but it might just be thier treasured piece of paper in decades to come!