PDA

View Full Version : How do you use your multimedia projector in your classroom?

Midwest Teacher
10-14-2006, 08:32 AM
I'm looking to find out how other teachers use their multimedia projectors at their school.

So far I use mine for:

Powerpoints (of course)
Posting the class starter for the day & Agenda
Demonstrations/Internet displays
Student work
formatting for essays etc.
slideshows

AAA Teacher Forum
10-14-2006, 10:00 AM
Here are a few of my LCD projector uses:
• Our school district has a subscription to unitedstreaming, so I use my LCD to show videos. (You could also do this if your computer had DVD playing capabilities.)
• Using interactive whiteboards and LCDs are also great.
• Instruction – I have a small USB tablet that allows me to write on documents that I have scanned in.
• PowerPoints – I create a review game for each of our math units. I can then project the questions for students to complete as a table group.
• Writing Prompts – I can display writing prompts that I use from The Teacher’s Corner http://www.theteacherscorner.net/daily-writing-prompts/index.htm or from unitedstreaming.

Jennifer

SLP
03-10-2007, 04:37 PM
How did you even get LCD projectors for your classroom? How much did they cost? Did you have a special grant?

I really wish I could project my laptop screen onto a wall or even into a television screen. Any ideas to help me?

Fransisca
05-06-2007, 10:57 PM
So far, I’m using the LCD projectors for:
• Showing videos (short movies or class projects)  This morning I used the LCD projector to show students’ talk show project, it was fun to see their responses seeing their talk show.
• Games to start the class or for filler.
• Presenting new target language (I’m a language teacher) in a form of clips or stories so that the students understand how and when to use the language. I usually use Power Point or the clips made from movie maker.
• Displaying rules and regulation or instruction at the beginning of the topic.

Basically, you will find it very helpful in conducting all lessons which have visual materials.

dr77
06-09-2007, 04:38 AM
I use my projector in every lesson and believe that it has had a great impact on my teaching. Lessons with a projector can be incredibly stimulating when using PowerPoint, multimedia, slideshows and so on.

I also use my projector to display a timer for the tasks I set for my pupils and I find that this can really focus a class. I have created many games and quizzes which I use with my classes - these have proved really popular.

I have a website with examples of the things I have created which you will be able to access by viewing my 'dr77' profile. The simple timer that I use is on there too - if anybody thinks it could be useful to them in their classroom then please let me know and I will send it to you,

David

arteacher
08-08-2007, 01:42 AM
I use LCD to explain about art, color theory, sample of artworks, watching movie related about art and show photos and pictures related with art.:)

lilyspal
09-01-2007, 06:35 PM
I wonder if anyone has a way to connect more than one headset to a computer so that 3 children can watch a video clip at once.
We have a subscription to UnitedStreaming Video and I would like to have small group watch in the computer area at the same time.

jg127
10-03-2007, 02:47 PM
I use my projector everyday. I have it hooked up to both the computer and the VCR, for any videos I need to show.

I use it in many of the ways already mentioned. One use I've found for it is to project quiz questions, and have students write the answers themselves. It saves a tremendous amount of time on my part as well as paper.

I'll find sometimes that I'd like a quick assessment on whether yesterday's goal really was retained. A quick pop quiz, using questions I made up on the spot and typed up in a few seconds can really help. That way I can look over the 2 or 3 answers I needed to see, and the kids don't need to know I never planned it!

iznik
10-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Dear AAA Teacher Forum,

What does a sample of one of your math review games look like? I teach 5th grade and would like to incorporate something like this into my review lessons. I am constantly looking for ways to integrate technology into my curriculum, while being limited with just a laptop and a projector.

Thank you in advance,
Iznik
5th Grade Teacher, California

FrazzleDazzle
10-29-2007, 06:09 AM
I have posted practice math problems that I wrote in MSWord on the white board and the kids thought it was cool to just see the work in a different way. I also do grammar that way sometimes-- write sentences in Word and they can circle the nouns on the baord. They all think it's funny when the projector is off and their lines are still up on the board.

Oakie
10-30-2007, 10:16 PM
I wonder if anyone has a way to connect more than one headset to a computer so that 3 children can watch a video clip at once.
We have a subscription to UnitedStreaming Video and I would like to have small group watch in the computer area at the same time.

Use a headphone splitter. Go to google, search products.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=headphone+splitter&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

kingrichie
11-21-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm still trying to figure it out. I think I'll take it home over the weekend and play with it a bit.

Boxcar
11-21-2007, 01:17 PM
I can see how the kids would enjoy a different format for work. Doing the same thing in the same way every day can bore both the teachers and the children.

Boxcar
11-21-2007, 01:19 PM
I just thought of something:

Has anyone ever told a shadow puppet story to their class using the light from the overhead projector? I may have to try this.

Chef Dave
11-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Hmmmmm ...

Being something of a techno-caveman, I use my projector as a convenient place to hang my apron and toque (chef's hat).

In recent days, it's also become a convenient place to temporarily store seasonings as I move them from dry goods storage to the culinary arts lab or vice versa.

As I said in another thread, my idea of state of the art technology is fire.

Ugh ... fire hot! Chef like hot fire! Hot fire burn good! Hot fire cooks food! Hot food tastes yum-yum in chef's tum-tum. :)

Boxcar
11-21-2007, 04:12 PM
That's funny.

I like technology, but sometimes it is just quicker and easier to do it the old way. For example, taking attendence with preschoolers. Having a clipboard on your lap while singing a song at Circle is much quicker than sitting at the computer and clicking boxes on a program. Plus, you are involved with the children while doing the task. Unless you have a laptop, I don't really see you having your computer at Circle.

mopar
11-24-2007, 06:54 AM
People have turned the classroom into technology driving without giving teachers the tools they need. However, think of how much easier the secretary has it when they try to call parents of missing children. Its a lot easier to log online then to go through all the slips of papers. Remember, if technology makes your job harder, it is hopefully making someone else's easier.

As for the projector: I like to use it to make large maps or pictures. I put a large sheet of white paper on my board and then an overhead on the projector. Then, I can trace the picture really large.

teach1027
11-26-2007, 10:01 AM
I show videos that go along with the content of the class. streaming.com is dponsered by the Discovery Channel, and has great videos. My kids really like them

Mr. H
01-21-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm looking for ways to integrate technology with the Houghton-Mifflin Language Arts curriculum. I have searched online for PowerPoint presentations for vocabulary lessons (to engage my students a bit more). Any ideas?

iznik
01-21-2008, 09:00 PM
What grade? I have created Powerpoints for vocab on my own. I teach 5th grade. I have also used Powerpoints to create Jeopardy games for social studies. The kids LOVE it.

upnorthteacher
01-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Mr H-
It is actually pretty simple to teach kids how to make basic PowerPoint presentations. I have had fourth & fifth graders do this, and they really enjoy it. That way they are more engaged with the material and are learning technology skills, as well as the other content. Some of my more advanced students have made quiz games with PowerPoint, complete with a buzzer screen for wrong answers that tells players to "Try again".

Shari Nielsen
01-26-2008, 08:26 AM
How many of your schools have professional development which involves training or exposing you to ideas on how to use the projector/computer/whiteboard?

I am amazed at how many teachers in our building have received projectors or whiteboards and they rarely use them simply b/c they are uncomfortable w/ the technology or they think the old way that they have been doing things for years is sufficient. Little do they know what they could do...

I think that this could be a great niche for an educator to fill - getting hired by school systems to actually demonstrate level/content appropriate ways to use the new technology. Teachers who shy away from tech b/c they just are too overwhelmed could actually get some ideas and see how easy it is to implement and may be more inclined to use it.

MsCoffeeLover
01-26-2008, 06:08 PM
How many of your schools have professional development which involves training or exposing you to ideas on how to use the projector/computer/whiteboard?

This new county and school that I am in seriously has professional development. We are required to take just about anything and everything. If you have a SMART board, you must go to two of the classes. We just got a license for unlimited access for Gizmos, and we had to attend three sessions. Once they introduced it to me, I had already been using it before the training and became an intermediate user, but they still made me take the beginner and intermediate and then we all hate to take a half day seminar. We have an instructional fair coming soon, and we are required to sign up for three classes of something. They are strict in this county. For every professional development day, this county offers a bunch of stuff that you literally have to sign up for and turn in to your principal.

I'm looking for ways to integrate technology with the Houghton-Mifflin Language Arts curriculum. I have searched online for PowerPoint presentations for vocabulary lessons (to engage my students a bit more). Any ideas?

Mr. H, I would also be interested in learning what grade you teach as well. Having taught Language Arts before, I have several ideas.

Primary and Secondary sources make for wonderful power points and ties in your social studies standards as well.

Standardized test practice is an excellent way also.

We did one for research papers.

Poetry was another excellent one.

There is a lot you can do, but if you give me a little bit more on the grade level that may help. I can totally help you if you are at the 7th grade level.

Shari Nielsen
01-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I almost forgot one of the most common ways I use it...I teach chemistry and we often collect class data and need to average and graph the data instantly. I will have the kids come up to my system, type in their numbers, into Excel, and then have a few kids run through the steps to make the graph. Its great to discuss the results instantly - often in the same class period as when they ran the lab!

busbus
01-27-2008, 05:40 PM

Mr. H,

Why don't you create your own transparencies or power points for your vocabulary lessons? It seems to me that you would know more of what your students need more so than Houghton-Mifflin. You may not be able to create something as "slick" as those done commercially; but what you create will be in keeping with the needs of your students. You can spice them up with various kinds of clip art which you can find online.

If you have seen some power point presentations that you like; use them as a basis for your own creations. There are programs that will walk you through the process.

However, if you feel a need to use a Houghton-Mifflin creation, go to its site and find out who is the representative for your area. Contact that person for assistance.

EngSoph
01-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Our district does a great job encouraging our staff to integrate technology into the classroom. Our school recently purchased several "SmartBoards" for teachers to use for their lessons. The SmartBoard is terrific. It allows teachers and students to interact with the lesson using this technology. Our teachers have been through a crash course on utilizing the technology. Does anyone utilize SmartBoard into their lessons?

Ms.Rodman
01-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Have the students get into groups of 4-6 (depending on your class size) in order to create their own slide after a lesson. Assign each group a word or concept, then have them collaborate (words, facts, pictures, sounds, etc.) and brainstorm how they would like their slide to look. Then, you could create a slide-show according to the students' design.

Boxcar
02-04-2008, 07:47 AM
That is a good way to help the students review.

Flipp
02-22-2008, 12:01 AM
I use my projector and PowerPoint to deliver short weekly quizzes. At the end of the quiz the students grade their own quizzes as the powerpoint repeats with the solutions dancing or changing color on the screen. I also show videos from United Streaming or YouTube. I used Google Earth to show the students mid-ocean ridges and other natural formations. Sometimes I'll do a small lab demonstration and use a webcam so the whole class can watch rather than just the kids in the front row.
OH and the absolute best! If you teach physics, get Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and you can take your whole class on a virtual roller coaster ride!

DarrenB
03-24-2008, 12:04 PM
LCD projector is really the foundation of a solid tech based classroom. I use the projector in combination with my Interactive Whiteboard and my doc camera (yeah, I know, I'm spoilt!). Combining all these together makes for daily use of technology both for me and my students. Lots of fun with loads of interest in the class.

Darren Barkett
Helping Teachers Grow . com

eosmer
03-24-2008, 01:12 PM
I use mine to display daily assignments, demonstrate lessons (model lessons) walk students through demonstrations on how to microsoft word, powerpoint, excel, and publisher. On reward days I can show movies. When we share powerpoint projects or assignments the students can put it in my dropbox and I can display the assignment. I use it for parent meetings like at open house and back to school nights.

Mazhani
04-15-2008, 03:12 AM
I would like to know the advantages as well as disadvantages of using these projectors in classes. How does this impact on the learners and the teacher? Is it practical to use them every session?

jsfowler
04-15-2008, 06:16 AM
The best thing about the technology in my classroom is that it is all connected. I turn the main power on and I am ready to go...no cords, no switches, just learning and fun. I also love how student friendly my technology is - they use it just as much as I do for presentations and such. I would hate to have to teach in a classroom that does not have a smart notebook (airliner).

I remember having to collect technology and set it up in my room...those days are gone with the 21st century classroom. I wish everyone could have one. Look into it...there are grants available and it is worth the time!

Ismael
04-25-2008, 01:26 PM
I love my projector and have used it in many different ways that have already been mentioned. I just recently used to review for a test, by playing jeopardy with possible test questions to answer and explanations of key material. It was fun and very productive because test scores were higher.

smithmt
04-25-2008, 05:08 PM
I just use mine to show Disney movies

JOKE!!

I do a lot of lecturing (in my non-Theatre Classes) using PowerPoint...
I do show movies and clips from movies - Please note the FCC has recently changed laws regarding decoding DVDs for classes teaching Film. The theatre TEKS require comparing performances on stage AND FILM to real life (7th grade - §117.37.4A, §117.37.5B, §117.37.5C, 8th grade - §117.40.4A, & §117.40.5C)

I especially enjoyed showing Chaplin movies and hearing the kids belly-aching turn to sheer enjoyment.

Boxcar
04-28-2008, 08:59 AM
My final in high school AP English was over Disney's the Lion King. We didn't watch in on a projector though...

DarrenB
04-28-2008, 12:43 PM
We're doing a unit on poetry, and more than ever, my projector paired with my document camera enable such a more effective and interactive poetry unit.

After teaching one aspect of understanding poetry (like mood, speaker, etc.) I have my students get into pairs to find examples of that aspect in poems. They then bring up their poems, one group at a time, display them under the doc camera and on the projector, read it, and then explain whatever aspect of poetry we're working on.

If I had to rely on our textbooks for the poems to share, the unit wouldn't be nearly as enriching as it is since I can draw from literally hundreds of different sources without fear of copyright infringement.

ChocolateNewOrleans
04-28-2008, 02:49 PM
My final in high school AP English was over Disney's the Lion King. We didn't watch in on a projector though...

heck, I was in college when that movie came out, so I'm guessing, by the time you saw it on VHS/DVD, it was quite a bit later. :eek:

how old are you, 25?

I<3History
04-28-2008, 04:15 PM
I use my LCD projector for PowerPoints also, I also use it for the occassional video or review game. I liked your idea of using the projector for the daily agenda, but sometimes it just stays dark in the room all day and the principal wants to be able to see the agenda and objectives on the boards if he walks through the room. Does anyone use podcasts in the classroom. I have used one with the notes, but mostly I give the answers to the study guide and hints of what to study each unit. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Mr Fred
11-25-2012, 05:26 AM
I found this old thread using a google search. It was so interesting, I joined the forum and decided to add a little to it.
My school was less than interested in using technology so I bought my own 200 lumen LED projector and a conference amplifier.
It's main use is showing vocabulary slides I make myself but I've used it to great effect with educational films and some net resources.
I've even started to make a few of my own films that I narrate manually as they play, thus being able to respond to the class rather than a set piece.
It's been so stimulating to the students, they've started to make their own powerpoints to use with their class projects.
I'm unbelievably pleased with the results of my investment and the school is starting to show interest in their own installations.

Thanks to the posters who've contributed to the thread and......oh....hello all.

Fred in Indonesia.

Mr Fred
12-01-2012, 06:05 AM
I can post links now so I'll show you what I mean by the slides.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq281/fredyboys/a1-1.jpg

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq281/fredyboys/d2.jpg

samgul
05-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Its one of the way to use ICT resource in classroom. While planning any session you must ask 5 Ws means, What, When, Where, Why and How are you going to use projector in the classroom. If you will ask these question yourself, you will get to know that where is it necessary to use or not.

Shahnaz Jatoi
05-07-2013, 11:30 AM
I have used for introducing the topic. It helped me generate classroom discussions. Learners were very attentive and responded well to the questions
I also used to show videos for whole class teaching
I used for presentation.
MMP excellent hardware to be used with learners

Shahnaz Jatoi
05-07-2013, 11:39 AM
I used it for exposition with every lesson and beleive me it helped create a very interactive classroom. Learner responded well to my questions

denisesterne
04-28-2014, 05:15 PM
I use my projector and smart board for everything I do. Students move their names to their lunch choice in the morning. I also us my smart board for students to have the opportunity to use manipulatives we may not have in the classroom. I love having it for teaching math, because it is a great way for students to be able to show their way of solving problems to their classmates.