PDA

View Full Version : Final Exam Review Ideas?

RyanMI
06-02-2005, 07:01 PM
Hello, I'm looking for any new ideas for fun, yet productive end of the year review activities for freshmen physical science students. My classes are big with 32 students and we have 4 days left before exams. Any ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks!

ScienceGuru
06-02-2005, 07:08 PM
With 32 students, you have to make sure they all remaing engaged. I like to put them into groups of 3 or 4 and have them arrange their group pods in a larger circle. Each group is responsible for a section / chapter. They have to create questions that highlight the mail topics along with an answer key (which you can check). One class period can be used to do this. Then, the next day, the groups can assemble again and rotate their "quiz" to the next group. The answer key can follow after the group has ~5 min. to work out the answers. Then, rotate again, etc.

sibiology
02-02-2006, 05:52 AM
I teach Biology. Last year I had 28 students and we played "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" It was a little time consuming to set up - but it was sooo worth it. They loved it. I had fake "fastest finger questions" and the whole bit.

This semseter for our first test I used Bingo. You can get bingo cards at:
http://www.teach-nology.com/web_tools/materials/bingo/
You put in the terms you want them to know and the site makes the bingo cards for you!

The next unit I will play Jeopardy! My students (which are college students by the way) love it every semester.

RonLove3
12-06-2007, 05:58 PM
I need some Ideas for science games for my freshman biology classes. We are studying Mendel and Meiosis now, then DNA and Heredity

mopar
12-07-2007, 07:42 PM
I liked Pictionary for mitosis and meiosis. The students had to draw pictures and the group tried to guess which stage they were drawing given only about 30 seconds. You could also use this for vocabulary, where they drew the vocabulary word.
For heredity, I thought that mysteries were fun. I had 10 mysteries that the students solved. Each mystery had a piece of evidence with something unusual. Then we had 3-5 suspects. The students had to use the suspects parents genotypes or phenotypes to figure out which suspect is guilty. It was great for punnett squares and ratios.
It was also fun just to give the students a list of traits. Then the students had to cross them and they could choose if the traits for polygenic, codominant, single allele, multiple allele, etc. The class had to guess which the student was portraying before the punnett square was complete.

teach1027
12-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Again I have to go with Jeopardy. You can have daily doubles and every thing. Give really good incentives to the winning team.

RonLove3
01-31-2008, 06:37 AM
Are there any pedigree activities, that I can use for highschool students, or inheritance and heredity activities?

Brittybobitty127
12-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Hello how is that you set up Who Wants to be a Millionaire? Can someone send me the directions??? That would be awesome to add to my world history exam review! =] Thank you..

Brittany

Boxcar
12-15-2008, 03:38 PM
I've played Hangman, Around the World, and Hot Potato. They are all fun!