PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with a naughty students?

EmyManalo
03-06-2012, 02:56 AM
Hello!I'm Emylynda Manalo taking Education.We all know that in one classroom teachers encounter naughty students.I want to ask how teachers handle this kind of students and what techniques they use.Do you think this techniques will work?

hweber
03-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Dealing with naughty behavior depends on the behavior and the child. Don't punish the class, punish the child, make sure the child knows that you still like them, but don't like the behavior. Time out works pretty well. What techniques are you being taught to use?

yeongo saem
03-06-2012, 06:37 PM
You'll find this varies a lot culturally, and what happens and works / doesn't work in some cultures will be different from others. In most English-speaking countries pupils who exhibit particularly naughty behaviour are usually shipped up the chain of command, with a vice-principal / head teacher / assistant headmaster dealing with the case. In some schools they may also be referred to school counsellors. In many Asian countries, the homeroom teachers are generally the ones who deal with students who have attitude problems and exhibit consistently naughty behaviour. So, as a classroom teacher you have to bear in mind that how things work practically may vary a lot if you're posing this question to people from around the world.

In universal terms, what I find works best inside the classroom is:

- start off each lesson with a clean slate. Don't start off with any prejudice from the last lesson.
- try to get troublemakers on your side. Make friendly comments to them and smile.
- try to nip problems in the bud. When a child does something wrong, deal with it immediately and the first time.
- don't try to talk over or around misbehaving and disruptive pupils. Stop and carry on once you've got the class' attention again.
- don't take things personally. As a new, young teacher kids will test you.

yeongo saem
03-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Dealing with naughty behavior depends on the behavior and the child. Don't punish the class, punish the child...

In an American context I'd completely agree with you, but in Asia where collective responsibility gets stressed a lot more punishing the class can sometimes be very effective. I'm not sure about the Philippines, as it's quite a mix of cultures in some ways.

yeongo saem
03-06-2012, 06:49 PM
PS - sorry, but I didn't realise this was in the preschool forum. I teach secondary so you what I wrote might not apply so well.

EmyManalo
03-10-2012, 02:39 AM
thank you for answering my question. Do you think if I'll punish them they will not like me? I have an experience of dealing with this students before. It's hard to please them and they go outside the room. Do you think when we play while learning is effective?

EmyManalo
03-10-2012, 02:52 AM
Thank you for your comment. I absolutely agree with the mix culture thing.It's hard to distinguish what kind of attittude the student have because many of Filipino students are half american, half chinese and so on. They have different culture and beliefs. It's difficult to understand them sometimes But in order to relate with them we must know thier culture even the other country's belief. I think this is the best thing to do.